Saturday, 21 February 2015

Give me Space.

For reasons explained in my last post, I took a couple of days away from social media, just to get a grip on myself, and regroup - sometimes that's what's needed isn't it? A little space does everyone good every now and again.

What I have been doing the past couple of days though is beginning to learn how to drive. OK, I know, I'm 41 years old and I should have learned a lot sooner - but you see, I have this horrible crazy fear of it. So much so that it's stopped me learning. I lived in London for a long time, and I just didn't need to drive, what with the underground and awesome bus services there - but, living here on the Island, you're pretty scuppered if you don't. Bus fares are so expensive and, some of the places I want to go the bus doesn't go - a bit silly that. I promised myself at the start of the year to do the things I had been putting off. Regardless of the fear factor!

My lovely little car - he's called Moby and he's a good boy :)

I have to say, I'm not really enjoying it. I'm doing it because I have to - and whilst I have an amazing Mum who joined me in my business and takes me anywhere I need to go for work - it's not right is it?A middle-aged woman relying on her Mum to get her everywhere! It's finally time I bit the bullet.

Learning from Willow

Willow has actually helped me loads with figuring out how to deal with this crazy fear. Observing her and her fear, I saw that whilst so much sends her into a meltdown, she also pushes herself to overcome it. If at first she's not sure of something, she'll back away - but then she'll go back to it, and if she backs off again, she'll go back to it again until she's overcome it - and...if my dog can blimmin' well do it, so can I! 

We're helping each other - she's teaching me how to trust myself and know I can do these things, and I'm doing the same for her. It's a perfect match.


Whilst we're on the subject of fear:

Last week I ordered Willow a special hi-viz vest. I have several times tried to get through to some people that she just doesn't want to be petted, or approached by dogs or their owners. I'm quite a forceful character when I want to be (and especially so when it comes to my dogs) - but, it seems that when it comes to dogs, some people take leave of their senses and ignore what they're asked to do around her - this made me so angry the other day that I lost my temper with one man who refused to call his big overly confident rotty away from her. 

Willow was in such a state, she was backing away into the sea with the waves lapping over her in dreadful fear and nothing I said to this chap would convince him that his dog was causing more damage than good (he said it was "Just what she needed" without knowing anything about her). I got so mad I might have sworn a bit - and whilst this man is very much the exception rather than the rule - after a couple of other incidents where people ignored my "Please don't approach her, she's scared." request, I thought I'd get her a jacket that makes it immediately obvious.


We used it for the first time today - and it really helped. Instead of people approaching, they still spoke to her, but kept their distance. She needs to know that people aren't a threat, but we need to make sure that that is done in a controlled way until she's ready for the cuddles.

Willow is so 'different' looking to most dogs on the Island that she gets a lot of attention - and of course, her missing story got a lot of exposure with so many people searching for her, that of course when they see her want to stop and say hello and give her a squidge - and whilst I wish that more than anything for her and for them, they worked so hard on her search - she's just not ready for that right now. One day, but not yet.

I'm thinking of getting one of the hi-viz jackets for the car when I'm out driving. What do you think? ;) 


4 comments:

  1. The vest is a great idea!

    I've used Shyla as an inspiration with a few of my fears, just like you have done with Willow. They truly are courageous - because everything in the world can scare them - yet they find the courage to keep trying.

    Good luck with the driving! I'm glad that you've found the courage to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vest is excellent! I love it! I need a one for my fearful/aggressive dog. It would be perfect for him.

    I've learned to do everything through my dogs. I think it is awesome that you want to face your fears. It is the hardest and most rewarding thing you'll do. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The vest is excellent! I love it! I need a one for my fearful/aggressive dog. It would be perfect for him.

    I've learned to do everything through my dogs. I think it is awesome that you want to face your fears. It is the hardest and most rewarding thing you'll do. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you - ask questions, give your point of view or just meet new people in the comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


BLOG DESIGN BY BLOG ME BEAUTIFUL